Education Code Section 35183: “Students shall be required to show proper attention to personal cleanliness, health, neatness, safety and suitability of clothing and appearance for school activities. Student clothing cannot cause distraction or disturbance or create a health or safety hazards. In no case may attire associated with gang membership, affiliation or activity be worn; such attire is not protected by the First Amendment.”
Shirley implemented a uniform policy that is renewed on a yearly basis as part of our School Safe Plan. Our dress code is committed to providing a safe and orderly learning environment for all students. We strongly encourage our students to wear our school colors to school every day.
Tops: Navy Blue, Light-Blue or White
Bottoms: Navy Blue, Khaki, or Black
Donated uniforms in good clean condition are welcomed and greatly appreciated. These articles of clothing are available upon request in the main office for those in need and unable to purchase uniforms.
Uniforms provide students with clear, well-defined options as they present an appearance that is conducive to a safe learning environment and does not distract from or disrupt the learning process of others.
Inappropriate attire includes, but is not limited to:
* Baggy, oversized pants
* Open toed-shoes, thongs, flip-flops, High heels
* Loop or hanging ear rings,
* tube tops, sheer blouses, low cut blouses
* Extra long T-shirts,
* Tight, cut, or torn clothing midriffs or exposed stomachs
* Pocket chains, heavy metal necklaces/ bracelets
* Bandana, scarves
* Baseball caps, hoods, hats (exception: extreme weather) and never allowed indoors
* Gang related attire
* Clothing displaying profanity, violence, vandalism, tobacco, alcohol, drugs, profanity, weapons, sexual overtones or is offensive to any gender or race, is unacceptable and therefore not permitted at Shirley Avenue ES.
Any student violating the dress code will be required to change clothes. We feel confident that when students are appropriately attired in uniforms, they are more serious about learning and strive to achieve more. Andasol students will be valued by their character (what’s inside) as opposed to what they wear on the outside.